Wednesday, July 30, 2008

The case for good copywriting, installment three

To survive or thrive? I guess that's really the big question behind making sure you have a good copywriter on staff. Having someone whose job is not writing do your writing vs. a professional copywriter is like your next door neighbor cooking dinner vs. a gourmet chef. You won't go hungry, but you certainly won't be opening up any franchises. It really all comes down to expertise. And unfortunately, since we've all been writing in some form or fashion since kindergarten, most people assume they can do it. It gives rise to a lot of "strategy as concept" ads, and it's akin to someone who plays around with Photoshop calling themselves a designer. I can play around with photoshop, and I even did a few "good enough" jobs for some clients that didn't know their heads from their feet in my earliest days to make ends meet, but once I saw what a trained, experienced designer could do, it became clear that there's a vast difference between technically ablility to create something and true craft, artistry and expertise. Food for though...mmm, I think I tasted lobster tail.

1 comment:

Thaddeus Gunn said...

Hiya. I'm wandering around checking out the blogs of other other copywriters like myself. I wanted to find out what copywriters write when they're not writing copy.

For the sake of introduction, here's my professional life in a nutshell: 20 years in copywriting; currently Senior Copywriter for MRM Worldwide (McCann-Erickson), Seattle. Private life: I write. I hike. I blog: www.deargregory.com.

My personal drives-me-nurtz thing: (referring to your post), when design steps on copy. Or "geurilla edits" it. I swear I'm going to buy a sidearm.